Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Maturity.

"You're only eighteen?"
"Yeah. How old did you think I was?"
"I don't know... probably in your twenties."
"What? Laugh. Why?"
"Because you act mature."

How do we define maturity? Many of us will say it is the decisions and the composure of someone that will give it away. I think my (ex) coworkers made their judgments too quickly.

The way one talks, walks, and acts in public is a way to judge maturity, yes. But isn't this superficial? Can we seem mature but actually have childish thoughts and make childish decisions? Of course; people fake maturity all the time. It depends on how good they are at it. Wiser people tend to see right through them.

I don't think I am mature. I make decisions and don't think about the consequences that will eventually affect me adversely. I act immaturely. I think immaturely. I don't take responsibility for my actions.

Is self awareness the "first step"? What good is it if we don't take steps to correct them?

Who are we to say what is mature and what is not? Can one be old and be immature? Can one be young and be mature? I'd like to believe so.

So what really is maturity? Maturity goes beyond the way one sounds and acts in front of people. It is qualities that cannot be feigned. It's your thoughts. Priorities. Innate reactions. Making wiser decisions. Thinking for yourself. Setting aside luxury for essentials. Taking good advice. Accepting defeat. Knowing when you are wrong. Correcting mistakes. Apologizing. Swallowing your pride once in a while. The way you treat those you aren't set out to impress.

It is not to say that people fit two categories: mature and immature. We aren't set out to be one or the other; that's against the laws of nature. We all fit a gray area. Gray is a very wide spectrum.

Is maturity part of our nature or nurture? I'd like to think that it's both. For some, it comes easier than others. Different people define maturity differently. Maturity can be learned, these qualities earned during their lifetimes. Can we see ourselves as mature or do others need to point it out to us? When do you reach that benchmark? Is there a benchmark? Should there be one? Perhaps there shouldn't be. It's an illusion almost; perhaps it has always been there but you hadn't realized it. Or others hadn't.

Maybe I will fit my qualifications sometime soon.

3 comments:

J. Day said...

Your post was really thought provoking. What IS maturity? Is it defined by IQ (mental age divided by chronological age times 100)? Or our actions?

This reminds me of a poem I wrote years ago when I was 14 (WHOA, I feel old!). It goes something like this:

I'm either or,
Neither nor.
I take no sides to even the scores.

I'm immature.
I am mature.
HA!
Just call me an amateur!

;)

J. Day said...

OH -- I almost forgot.
I added the widget that allows you to follow my blog, so just click it and you're all set.

Unknown said...

Haha that's a cute poem. Yay I am going to follow your blog =]