Saturday, January 23, 2010

Audacity.

The title of this post is one of my favorite words of the English lexicon. For those who know me fairly well, they will tell you I am very fond of saying "audacity" at the top of my lungs, usually with a large cup of coffee in my hand, in public, and with much passion behind it. I consider it a fairly powerful word. Typically I use it when describing something or someone that exasperates me to no end. But what really makes something "audacious"? What does something or someone have to do to truly get under one's skin, to go further than being just arrogant or nonsensical?

According to one of the best websites ever invented, dictionary.com, audacity means "shameless boldness". However, when I think of something "bold" I think of something or someone who pushes the limits of the conventional and typically for something intrinsically good or beneficial for themselves or others. For example, I would consider the work of Junot Diaz "bold" because it is defies conventions and it's intention is to shock the reader. Additionally, his purpose is to showcase literature that makes the reader think, that effectively evokes emotion either because of the completely blunt nature of his narrative or the honesty of his characters. I admit I am somewhat biased on this particular point. Read some of his work and then report back to me whether you agree or not.

No, audacity is not simply boldness. Audacity goes farther and is much more sinister. Being audacious is wanting to cause harm to another party for completely selfish gain and knowingly doing so. Being audacious requires cunning and a certain level of intelligence. It is done to fuel controversy, to inflict pain in some shape or form to someone else or a whole. For example, the CEOs of the companies that caused the financial downturn as of late are most certainly audacious; they gave their top executives millions of dollars in bonuses for unprecedented reasons and went on to ask the government for tax payers money to bail them out of bankruptcy. Unbelievable. On a smaller scale, people who intentionally manipulate others to do things for them and go on and insult the used for a crappy job can definitely be considered audacious. As for "things" being audacious, take for example the operating system Windows Vista or any recent Windows system for that matter. "New and improved"? Give me a freakin' break.

So yes those that are audacious are shameless but also morally reprehensible and downright despicable. There is no need to call out those people or things on being audacious because there is a very good chance they are conscious of their actions.

Still, for me it does not take away from the thrill I get for reiterating "The audacity!" on crowded sidewalks while those around me mistake me for another New York lunatic.

1 comment:

J. Day said...

I used to think 'audacity' was simply boldness. But I checked dictionary.com again, and it led me to read this definition of the word: "boldness or daring, esp. with confident or arrogant disregard for personal safety, conventional thought, or other restrictions."

So in conjunction with the scenarios you discussed in your post, which definitely showcase the utter disregard that those CEOs had for morality, for the taxpayers, and for their employees who unfortunately lost their jobs due to the carelessness of those CEOs, I totally agree with you.

Audacity entails some sort of sinister manipulation that is combined with sheer carelessness and disregard not only for oneself, but for others as well.

As for Windows and the so-called latest versions of it... it should not be susceptible to any viral infections or mechanical malfunctions anymore. But that's probably never going to happen, lol. No wonder those Mac commercials are so funny! ;D