Friday, April 8, 2011

Introspection.

Writing. That's what this blog has allowed me to do for over two years. It has given me and many, many others, a platform from which to express, divulge, convince, accuse, pontificate, et. al. about everything and anything. The weight one can give one's words, the tone, the diction, the style, the form, is completely a unique construct. Writing was not the primary reason I became an English major. But, what my major has allowed me to do with my writing has made it into one of my favorite reasons.

Writing evolves. One can mold it to be whatever one wants it to be. The writer, the speaker, the protagonist can give words its depth or its shallowness. Writing makes words malleable, makes meaning disposable, makes it into whatever your muse inspired it to be.

Reading back on my earlier entries, this blog has taken a turn in themes and tones. Which is not necessarily a bad evolution. I have changed as a writer; my life has taken it's own little twists and turns, and my writing reflects that. Still, there are some aspects of my older posts I have forgotten to use because other writings have demanded I abandon them. Carefully crafting arguments, story arcs, and consciously forming prose into something one can hold at an arm's length and say "Yes, I am proud of this" is one particular writing process I have not engaged in for a while. At least in terms of my personal essay writing.

Here's to hoping the muses demand I look into my heart and write.

1 comment:

J. Day said...

Writing is a process. I found that over the years some of my own writing has evolved, too. Our voices change as we grow and develop, as we journey through life and encounter new experiences. Some of the stuff I write ends up sounding like I'd written it in a sleep-deprived, caffeine-induced stupor. They end up sounding, quite frankly, like shit. But that's beauty of writing -- you can see the progress of your own personal arc, as well as pinpoint those areas that might still need some honing. That's worth more than producing brilliant essay after brilliant essay, at least in my opinion.

May the muses amuse you and guide you on your writing journeys. :)